Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Jury Duty

Some of you may know that i have been on Jury duty since Monday of last week. This is something that i have always wanted to be a part of, I think the system isn't corrupt and placed into the hands of people who are impartial and fair the proper outcome can be reached. The case I was on involved five children, CPS, and the mother. CPS claims that they have given the mother every chance to regain custody of her children, and the only option from here is severance and adoption. I sat through 7 days of testimony and evidence, objections, examinations, cross examinations, opening and closing statements. We as the jury had the case for 6 total hours i believe before we came to a decision. We had to decide on two claims from CPS, if one or both were found to be proven then severance and adoption was the next step. I didn't feel that a co dependant personality was considered a mental illness, 6 others did. We all felt CPS had provided sufficient resources for mother to regain custody of her children. We all felt it is in the children's best interest to no longer be in the care of their mother and at that moment, severed the parental rights of the mother. Today on valentines day I told a mother that she is "mentally ill" and that she is no longer the parent of her five children. My heart breaks for her, her children, and the remaining family on mothers side. For the last three years she has been fighting this, and in a day its over. I always wounder ed what it was like to sit in on a trail. To hear lawyers do their thing, to hear the bailiff tell all to rise as the jury came in and out of the court room. My broken heart is for her, having her children taken away from her. For me, seeing those with kids not take care of them, but not being able to have any of my own. For me, taking away other peoples kids, but not being able to have any of my own. Ask me to judge a thief, ask me to judge a murderer, ask me to judge a drug dealer, but don't ever ask me to take someones children away ever again. I have always wanted to be a part of a trail, no one said it would be easy, but no one said it would be this hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark: I'm so sorry you had that decision to make. We never know what will be asked of us but should know what we would do. I'm proud of you for the stand you took, sorry for the mother for not taking a stand and sorry for the kids for not being able to have a choice. That sort of trial touches so many hearts. You will be able to protect youre kids. I Love You Valentine.

Anonymous said...

Every day I go to work and work with people who truly do not deserve to be parents. I totally understand what you are saying but I also know the child's side of that story. I've seen the damage first hand on a daily basis and I believe in the system. I know they gave that mother every chance. Usually the system does not get to the court stage quickly, as you said three years. That is a long time for everyone. The children had their hopes up for the last three years because no matter how bad their mother is....she is still their mother and they love her very much. That is why we have CPS and the court system to protect the innocent child who loves their mother and would continue to put up with the abuse and neglect. I'm so sorry you had to go through this without the benefit of knowing what I know. You did not take her children away from her -- she lost her children because she could not keep herself on the right track. That probably does not help but it is the truth. I would love to have a long talk with you about what I do and what I know in my heart is right no matter how painful if seems at the time. I feel that this work is my calling and that provides me the strength to continue.
All my love precious nephew, keep your heart in the right place!!