Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I love Jelly....

So, here is the story. On a recent trip to Oahu to visit Jr and Kate, I did as much face time with the ocean as I could. From the first day I got there to the day I was leaving I made sure to get into the water at least once. The water there is warm and a beautiful shade of clear that lets you see the bottom and everything in between. The first day I went swimming went off with no problems, I had a good time boogie boarding with my pops. The second time, well the second time was the first time getting stung by what I like to call "PMoW". aka Portuguese Man-o-War. The first time I got stung on the foot, I liken it to getting stung by a bee kinda but also getting whipped with a small willow branch at the same time. Questions like "do I pee on it" or "how long is it going to sting" were going thru my head, but on a scale of pain this was about a 6 maybe 7. The second time I got stung was around my wrist, (there are pics below the wrist on is out of focus but you get the point), now I am used to getting my arms beaten and whipped, we would play a game at work where we get a bit of wire and whip each other with it. Sometimes we would even make shapes, a heart or even the company logo and "brand" it on our arms with welts. So this wrist thing was uncomfortable but familiar. Now I can't remember if I got hit again before the last day, must be all the toxins in my system, but I will skip to the last day. So I am out there and I can see them floating on the surface of the water sailing along with the wind, so I would push them away with the boogie board and continue my swim. After about 10 min of not seeing any all hell broke loose, I must have insulted one of their mothers or something because they came at me with such force, knocked me off the board and held me under water till I couldn't breath. I struggled to get to the surface, clawing at the water hoping someone would see my flailing, then just as I was about to yield to their grip, they let go and all was calm and I stumbled to the beach. I know, sounds crazy right? Well even though it didn't go down like that it still felt like that. See, I was out there and it seemed like the made a ninja attack on me, it might have been one or could have been 12, but the stingers were doing a number on my sides. As I got out of the water I was pulling the long (3ft) tentacles off of my body. They were wrapped around my arm and hand and up and down my sides, you could even see the little blue stingers on my skin. I went back to the house and had a swim with the Finner, got all packed up and headed to the Ward for some last minute shopping. As we were down there I was feeling worser and worser, like I went on a binge the night before and I had all those toxins in my system. The flight home was good, I was kinda uncomfortable the whole time but as the hours past so did the hangover. I did have welts for a few days after, I was able to show the guys at work, who got a kick out of it. Anyone that knows me and the things I have gone thru (if you dont know what I have gone thru should I do a post about them?) can have a good laugh at this one, I know my family in Oahu did.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, it brought back great Hawaii memories reading your post babe. What family vacation could be complete without some sort of allergic reaction or strange injury.
love you!
Kendra

Anonymous said...

That's weird, someone must have been logged in as a Google blogger before me and it saved their info.
anyhow, that was me, Kendra :)